Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Magnet Numbers

I am working on a project for my wall and it needed some accessories.  I love numbers and I think they make everything look better.  Home Depot has some plastic and aluminum house numbers for about a $1.30. 

IMG_4854

I got several different numbers, but I used the 8 to show you what I did with them.  They are all even because odd numbers don’t do it for me. 

The nail holes had to go.

IMG_4861

Who says wood filler has to be used on wood?

IMG_4862

IMG_4863

I squirted some into the holes and then wiped it smooth.

IMG_4865

While it dried, I cut up sticky magnet strips and attached them to the back of the number.

IMG_4867

IMG_4869

Then I used a Sharpie paint pen to paint the filler black.

IMG_4872

I used a dry brush technique to paint the numbers. I put very little paint on the brush.  The older and rattier the brush the better. 

IMG_4860

Then I  brushed the paint back and forth onto a paper plate so that it barely marks the plate.  Now you are ready to paint your number.  Use broad quick brush strokes onto the number.  After a few strokes you will probably need to reload your brush with some paint.

IMG_4874

See very little paint gets on the brush or plate.  The paint is  usually dry immediately.  Bonus!

I used different paint colors for my numbers but they are all kind of a muted color.  The lighting tonight was bad.  It was very dark when I took this photo.

IMG_4883

I hope to show you the other project soon. 

 

Tracy

 

Linking to

The Power of Paint @ Domestically Speaking

Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails