Saturday, July 23, 2011

Healthy Yummy Smoothie Made With Coconut Oil

Last week I found a blog that informed me about the benefits of coconut oil and nut butter.  I was intrigued.  You can find the post here @ Momnivore’s Dilemma.  It is about the need to have fat in our diet and how coconut oil is a healthy fat that does the body good.  I also read how nut butter is good for you and helps to keep you full. 

Anyhow, after my research and shopping spree I invented a smoothie to add both of these ingredients into my diet.  I thought I would have to hold my nose while I drank it, but I am telling you it is good!!!  Really really good.  I am always sad when I finish drinking it.  I have made one every day for a week. 

Here’s my list of ingredients.

3/4 Cup skim milk

banana

milkbanana2

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder

1 Tablespoon coconut oil

1 Tablespoon almond butter

proteinpowdercoconutoilalmondbutter_edited-1

1 to 1 1/2 Cup crushed ice

First I mix the milk, protein powder ( I used what I already had on hand), almond butter, coconut oilmilkproteinpowdercoconutoilalmondbutterframe

and the banana.

smoothieunmixed

I usually use the blender on grind and then blend.  I like to using a heaping Tablespoon of the oil and butter, but I used a regular tablespoon for the almond butter instead of a measuring tablespoon.

After I blend it.

smoothiemixture

I add the ice.  If I add the ice ahead of time then my coconut oil chunks up.  It is like butter and melts at 76 degrees but gets hard when it gets cold. 

ice

Already crushed ice seems to work best and the amount depends how thick you want your smoothie.  I like to use about a cup and a half of ice. 

I use the ice crush button to mix in the ice.  Then I pour the smoothie into a cup.  I like to drink mine with a straw. 

smoothiecocunutoil

I added the bowl of blueberries because they are good for you and my smoothie creation is not colorful and makes for a boring photo. 

Let me know if you try this.  I would love to hear what you think.  The coconut oil has many outside body uses and benefits too.  Read about it.  You just might get intrigued as well.

sig

Linking to

Funky Junk Interiors Healthy Recipes @ Junk Losers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails